Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New and Improved Grocery Shopping

We were discussing how difficult it now is to buy staples at a grocery store. There is new-found angst at buying bread and milk because of the myriad choices there are. I came up with a brilliant solution. At the entrance, there could be a "grocery consultant" to help you make your choices. He or she would ask questions about your household and values and indicate what would be appropriate for you. For example: family of four with growing children? Or aging couple? Perhaps they would ask about cholesterol levels or health issues. Perhaps they would inquire about dietary or monetary restrictions. In any case, they could either walk through the aisles with you or go over your grocery list. If you could not read the labels, they could help you with that. They could accompany you through the store and grab things on high shelves and stuff. I think it would make the customer stay in the store longer (always something the store wants) and help in whatever way to make the shopping experience nicer. Perhaps they could run an get an item while you stay in line... Hmmmm... I think that job would pay for itself...

6 comments:

Ms. Hedda said...

What a great idea! I would totally take advantage of that service. (In fact, I'd love to BE that service!)

I've been thinking a lot lately too about how hard it is to buy groceries. A few thinks I've been reading on health (How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy), and on the food industry (The Omnivores Dilemma) have left me with... well, a omnivore's dilemma!

So far my solution has been to go to small grocery stores closest to me where the produce section is full and the other choices are limited. Then I don't end up stuck staring at a wall of processed, packaged cheese wondering "what IS that?" :-)

Sleepwalker said...

Have you also heard of the Hundred Mile Diet? The idea of buying local, within a 100-mile radius of your home? I will check out the books you mentioned.

Ms. Hedda said...

Yes, I've heard of it, but haven't read it. I listened to the authors interviewed on CBC when it first came out. It's another dilemma to factor in - and a tricky problem for the busy urban family!

Recalling the "farm fresh eggs" you got for me once (my how time flies!) I imagine you probably know more about this that I do... But I started looking around online (amid a panic attack that we were doomed to remain irresponsible consumers) and it seems there are lots of local options (organic farms in the area) for "opting out" of the supermarket regime.

Do you have any experience with this?

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I felt extremely overwhelmed in my "local" grocery store on Friday. I much prefer the small more focused stores. I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - another book about eating local. This is a challenge when it is January in Ottawa.

Sleepwalker said...

Sorry - I haven`t been online much these past few days. I read your longer comment re: buying local and organic in Vicki`s blog with your excellent links.
I am indeed fortunte to live in the countryside. I go to work through the back roads. On our way back home, we stop at an unmanned kiosk where there are fresh vegetables and a place to leave money. There are no prices either. You pay what you think the vegetables are worth. I think it is a social experiment. : )
Unfortunately, our neighbour no longer raises chicken. We miss the fluorescent yellow and the hard shell.

Unknown said...

A few thinks I've been reading on health (How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy), and on the food industry (The Omnivores Dilemma) have left me with..http://urbangroundmarket.com/